Saturday, May 9, 2009

Fiscal Conservatism at is Best: Texas Charging Rape Victims For Rape Kits


Guys, when I heard this at the Barber shop it made me physically ill when I saw this headline on Huffington post Texas Charging Rape Victims For Rape Kits
Ok, I understand that we are in an economic recession, but someone needs to get some TARP money and pay for "Rape Kits". It crazy to put such a burden on the victim, and its especially inappropriate b/c apparently the fund that pays for these kits has had a multi-million dollar surplus for the last 8 years. (i.e. $98M in 2007). Nevertheless the Texas Attorney General says that if the fund was not administered by the strict guidelines by the legislature if would be insolvent...really? This fund is paid for by fines to criminals and I bet traffic tickets, if that the case I know many who have contributed driving down I-10.

Its horrible that a woman has to suffer this terrible crime, then the invasiveness of the the test itself to cooperate with the police to find the monster. But then you basically make them pay for the indignity, and agony of reliving the experience is ridiculous.

Texas fiscal responsibility is one thing, inhumanity is another ---get it together.


No comments: